The International Powered Access Federation (IPAF) said there were seven fatalities from six accidents worldwide involving mobile elevating work platforms (MEWPs) during the third quarter of 2012 (July to September).
IPAF said there had been 26 deaths from 25 accidents in total so far this year, as at September 30, 2012.
All the accidents that occurred in the third quarter involved booms. The main causes were: electrocution (two fatalities), fall from platform (two), overturn (one) and entrapment (one). In one of the accidents involving electrocution, both the operator and a work colleague in the platform died.
Figures for the year to date showed that of the 25 reported accidents, 15 involved booms, seven involved vehicle mounts and three involved scissor lifts. The main causes were reported as: fall from platform (seven fatalities), electrocution (six), overturn (five), mechanical/technical (four) and entrapment (three).
Fifteen of the accidents occurred in the USA, three in the Netherlands, two in the UK and one each in Australia, Canada, Singapore, Spain and Switzerland.
“There are nearly 1.5 million MEWPs/AWPs in use around the world, and while every death is a tragedy, powered access is still a very safe way to work at height,” said IPAF CEO Tim Whiteman. “The analysis of accident data will allow the industry to become even safer.”
IPAF is working closely with the industry to monitor and analyse accident figures. From 1 January 2013, it will be mandatory for IPAF rental company members in the UK to report any known MEWP accidents involving their staff at the IPAF accident database (www.ipaf.org/accident).
Source - KHL Magazine